Форум сайта Horror~Music
Текущее время: 27-04, 20:27

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: Интервью с Амелл
СообщениеДобавлено: 18-12, 20:29 
Site Admin

Источник - Clickmusic.com

With new single 'No Can Do' out now, we got one third of Sugababes on the phone for a chat.

Amelle Berrabah tells us about their sixth album 'Catfights And Spotlights', why they won't be touring next year, and why she finally had to ring the papers about the things that are written about the band.

Emotionally, where were you as a band when you started to write and record 'Catfights And Spotlights'?

We did the album very quickly, as we didn't have much time at all. When we were working on the album, we hardly saw each other to be honest! We were all in different places, running from one studio to another, I'd start writing something, then Keisha would finish it, then I'd go off somewhere to record something else. So we didn't have the same sort of set-up we had for the album before, 'Change', where we were mostly together for that. But on the whole, with this album, we just wanted to get what's on our minds off our chests - well I did anyway. Everything that I write comes from some truth. We just wanted to make sure it was a bit more soulful, and we wanted to push ourselves a lot more... change the vocals, the vocal line-up, and add a bit more "liveness" to it. We love performing with the band, so we wanted the songs to sound good live as well, and add that Motown/Supremes sound. We're really happy with the end result, we're chuffed with it!

I've always thought that ballads were Sugababes' biggest strengths, and the ones on this album are the strongest you've done. Do you feel like there was more focus on the slowies this time round?

Not intentionally, to be honest with you. I think with ballads, the mood changes, and it goes darker lyrically. I think then people can feel it more with the ballads... it gets your emotions running. We have noticed there is darkness to these ballads.

The impression I get from the album, lyrically, is that it seems quite negative in terms of relationships, with the main criticism being wallowing in weakness. Would you say that's a fair criticism, or are we reading too much into it?

I think, a little bit. It is dark, and it has those sorts of lyrics, but if you really listen to, maybe, 'Every Heart Broken', it's negative, but very tongue-in-cheek. Like, you're killing off all these boyfriends, but it's jokey. But I can see why people would think that, if you have that in your head.

Funnily enough, 'Every Heart Broken' is my favourite on the album - what are your personal favourites?'

I'd say 'Beware' is definitely a personal favourite, just because I wrote the majority of that one, and got a lot off my chest! A piece of mah mind! There's a James Bond kind of feel to it, the drums, and there's a coldness to it as well. It means a lot to me, as it's very true to me, that song. I love 'Every Heart Broken' lyrically as well - not being big-headed, because I didn't write that one! Oh, and 'Nothing's As Good As You'. I know not many people would say that one, but it's beautifully written, and it's really nice to sing.

Being the last Sugababe to join, do you remember the moment when it all fell into place for you?

It wasn't even that long ago, to be fair! Probably the day we finished 'Change'. Not for any reason, as the girls have always been so welcoming and we're so close, but I think I needed to do my own stuff, like writing, for me to feel a part of the band properly. So in that album, there's a lot of me in there as well. As one of the people that helped create the end product, I was worthy of saying, 'that's my work'. I'm still compared to Mutya a lot, not as much as I used to, but I'm so completely different. I mean, we've got a couple of deep voices on our hands, and that's about it! So I'm glad people see me as Amelle the person, and I do write and I do sing.

Why is there no tour for this album?

Because last year we didn't have a minute to scratch our arses, honestly, it was so full on. Even now, we love what we do, and touring is one of our favourite things in the year, and we look forward to it. We're having a couple of months of next year as well, and we're taking a good year to write the next album, as we just want to concentrate on it. We just found out today, that some producers have approached us, which is amazing, who've done basically all of Rihanna's and a lot of Beyonce's stuff. We're really excited to be working with them next year, as it's a big opportunity. We just want to concentrate on that, however long it takes. It's sad that we're not doing a tour - I even put forward to do a couple of days or something. It might go ahead, but at the minute it's not looking like it's going to happen.

The 'No Can Do' video shoot looked a lot of fun, but were there any mishaps?

Yeah, there were two, and they were both from me! We met the men for the first time a couple of days before the shoot, and we got to know them, and get into our positions - you're sitting down on them, and you have to know where to put your hands. Basically, a man puts hits legs behind his ears, and you sit bum to bum. And I sat on his bum, and I slipped and grabbed... inbetween his arse. Then the second time there were 'human stairs', and I had to walk down them and I stamped on his 'front', and he had a red face and legs flying everywhere. I felt so guilty, but he was alright!

What's been your personal highlight of 2008?

There's a fair few. Getting to perform at the MOBOs, which I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and getting the opportunity to perform with Mary Wilson, one of the original Supremes. Another one is performing with James Brown, and with Patti LaBelle for Fashion Rocks.

When you're a tabloid-friendly band, things can get twisted a lot. Is there anything recent you'd like to put right?

Oh man, so many things, it would be pages and pages. Oh this is a good one - Fashion For Relief. Naomi Campbell organises a catwalk show for White Ribbon Alliance, and us three did the catwalk, and Heidi's shoe fell off. On the way back she had to pick it up. We were pissing ourselves laughing backstage, I'm on the floor laughing - I had to go outside to get some air. The next day it was reported that I was pushing the girls out the way to get in the front, me and Keisha were pushing each other, fighting, backstage while Heidi was on the floor crying her eyes out, and we were having a go at her for letting her shoe fall off! And that really pissed me off! I actually rang the papers for the first time in my life and went psycho - "how DARE you!". Things like that piss me off, but you just have to get on with it.

Finally, who have you been listening to this year?

I love N-Dubz, I'm massively into their album. I'm really into them. I love 'Papa Can You Hear Me?'. I'm still a big fan of The Kooks, and I'm loving Razorlight's new stuff. Oh I love Wiley as well, and I love The Ting Tings.

Заголовок сообщения:
СообщениеДобавлено: 25-07, 11:27 

Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение